Monday, March 21, 2011

Sanibel Coastal Ecosystem

As a part of my Biomimicry Professional program, we do numerous iSites.  iSites are part of our practice of (re)connecting with natural environments and they involve going out and observing nature in order to deepen our understanding of her and through reflection and sketching, reconnect with life and strengthen our vision of a world empowered by nature's genius.

Jacob chasing birds on Sanibel Island
While on vacation in Florida, I did an iSite translating what I saw on the natural beaches of Sanibel into an engineering diagram of energy flows.  I noticed that all normal energy flows are cyclical - each organism's waste creates an input of energy for another.  The energy my son expended chasing shore birds is not accounted for on the diagram below, but I think it should be.  

Energy flows of a coastal ecosystem

No comments:

Post a Comment